Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Edited - Get Out of the Car !

            Upon arrival at the campground, my mom would always get out of the car and help direct my dad as he backed the pop-up camper into the campsite. In route, I would attempt to stay awake as much as possible. However, mom usually slept the whole way there and was half asleep each time this occurred. Things did not go as planned one particular early morning.
            I had lost the fight with sleep and dozed off. The car door woke me when my dad stopped at the ranger station. Excitedly, I looked around in the realization we were there. My dad filled out the form and dropped it in the night box. I am not sure what time it was, but the sky gave no hints of dawn.
            He drove slowly through the campground and I helped look for the number post we would call home for the next week. After just a few minutes, we found it and he pulled up beyond the paved spot to allow room to back the camper in. He shook mom gently to tell her we were there and he needed help to back up. So far so good, but this is about where the normal routine ended.
            She nodded sleepily, opened the door, and started to step out. Partially leaned out into the darkness, she froze, slowly pulled her leg back in and muttered “no” very quietly. Dad just looked at her and insisted he needed her to get out and help him back up. Her eyes slowly looked out the door and she again quietly declined.
            My dad was a little tired and as this charade continued, he started to get irritated. My mom, however, continued to decline. I can only attribute her silence to the fact she did not know what to do and had been abruptly awakened. Even I was got in on the act an prodded her to just get out of the car. I was just as much confused as my dad. What could be the problem ?
            Finally, my dad all but shoved her toward the door. At this point, she looked at him and her eyes flashed. She told him if he wanted someone to get out, he would have to do it. Incredulous, he looked at her and asked why. With an icy glare in return, she quietly said, “there is a skunk right outside my door.” Silence momentarily echoed throughout the car before laughter soon replaced it.

Excerpt from Under the Smoke

No comments:

Post a Comment