Wednesday, October 16, 2013

They ARE essential !



As part of my presentations at Savage Cabin over the summer, I talked about a man whose research and devotion to the preservation of a specific mammal has always held a special place in my heart. The man was Dr. Adolph Murie and the mammal is the severely misunderstood wolf. He first spent time at Mt. McKinley National Park ( now named Denali ) with his older brother Olaus, who was studying the caribou. This inspired him to become a wildlife biologist himself and he too came to work for the National Park Service. He was sent to Mt. McKinley in 1939 to study the wolf and the impact it might have on prey species, in particular the Dall sheep. The opinion was they have a negative impact on the prey populations. His studies there, and later in Yellowstone, proved the fallacy of this mindset. These conclusions have been further corroborated by other biologists since then, such as the studies conducted by Dr. David Mech at Isle Royale National Park, Denali, and Yellowstone. Isle Royale itself is a perfect example of the natural coexistence between a predator and its prey.

Out of the 1000s of people I presented to over the summer, I only two individuals approach me afterwards to disagree and voice their own convictions. These were based on incorrect information and negative propaganda concerning the wolf. I have always been the type of person to research and verify “facts” I have heard, even if these facts are in line with my own beliefs. This has been true whether it is nature or history related. It prompts me to dig deeper and read more on my own, from the viewpoint of all sides, and weight the validity of the source materials.

The views these two individuals expressed to me, however, we were so far-fetched and obviously based on negative hype they had heard. For example, one of them told me the wolf was an indiscriminate killer and was decimating the herds in Yellowstone. He told me the wolf packs would tear into a herd of elk, kill them all, and leave the carcasses. This is so far beyond any truth I have ever read from biological studies of wolf behavior. He went on to tell me if the wolf was not eradicated, the herds would be pushed to extinction. I calmly and politely pointed out to him if the wolf was decimating the herds, would not the prey species have become extinct long before Europeans arrived in America ? He walked away in a huff.

The other person expressed pretty much the same sentiment but elaborated further by mentioning the danger from wolves to cattle and the negative effect wolves were having in competition with hunters. With regard to the first, I have not enough room here to address that issue. However, I do know there are many non-lethal methods to deter wolves from going after cattle. Do a Google search and you will find information on methods being successfully used in Europe to this end. With hunting, this also could not be further from the truth. I have nothing against hunting – let me repeat, I have nothing against hunting – unless it is done for the sole purpose of a trophy. If it is to fill your freezer with meat for your dinner table, that is fine. 

By the same token, while humans are considered to be the best hunters on earth, this is a misconception. When predators hunt, they watch and test the prey animal. They attempt to get it to run, and in by doing so, they gauge the health of the animal. A healthy prey animal can outrun and/or fight off even a pack of wolves. Why ? Predators conserve their energy. If it is deemed to cost too much physically for the animal to be caught or brought down, the chase is abandoned for the chance to find easier prey. It is the sick, old, and very young which fall victim to predators. On the other hand, humans will take down the largest, healthiest animal they can find. In retrospect, we weaken the herds by our method and predators strengthen the health of the herds by theirs. 

They ARE essential !

If you disagree with me, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, I urge you to do research and read as much as you can from all viewpoints before forming a concrete belief in yourself one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment